Saturday, May 8, 2010

Potions Homework

I had a great time with Potions this week...well, mostly. I certainly learned a lot during a special independent project I worked on. Earlier this week I spent a whole day in the Potions classroom, working carefully on Felix Felicis, one of the most difficult potions ever. Something went very, very wrong along the way--perhaps my sopohorous beans weren't fresh enough, or I didn't stir the right number of times in the correct direction?--and I ended up with something like a cross between a Draught of Living Death, Wound Cleaning Potion, and split pea soup. Needless to say, I had to come back in the whole next day to clean up the mess I made. Good thing there were no classes and Snape has been distracted lately!


PART ONE

Anyway, this week's homework was a little easier, though finding the time to gather ingredients was hard. Here they are, accompanied by my green thumb:

Chopped Daisy Roots
Used in Shrinking Solution

Alihotsy
Crushed leaves are used in Confusing Concoction and Babbling Beverage, as they cause hysteria.

Fluxweed
These springs were picked a week ago on Wednesday (the full moon) to maximize their changability potential in potions like Polyjuice.

Common Knotgrass
Used in Polyjuice Potion and rather tasty in salads.

A variety of Belladonna
While quite poisonous on its own, this useful flower is used for making an essence found in most common potions.


PART TWO

1. Sneezewort, scurvy grass, and lovage are used to make what?
A: Allergen Solution
B:Confusing Draught
C: Babbling Befuddlement
D: Wandering Agent

2. Porcupine quills are to be added when to a Boil Cure Potion?
A: It is the second ingredient you add
B: Before it is removed from the fire
C: You don't add them, they aren't part of the potion
D: After it is removed from the fire

3. What potion, if brewed correctly, should change color numerous times throughout brewing including deep purple, lilac, and finishing clear?
A: The Draught of Living Death
B: Amortentia
C: Calming Draft
D: Elixir to Induce Euphoria

4. This ingredient in the Draught of Peace, would likely bring you permanent peace since it is poisonous, what is it?
A: Murlap
B: Belladonna
C: Mugwort
D: Hellebore

5. Chopped daisy roots, skinned shrivel-fig, sliced caterpillar, one rat spleen, dash of leech juice are all ingredients to what?
A: Swelling Solution
B: Deflating Draught
C: Shrinking Solution
D: Sleeping Draught

PART THREE

Since my only potion experiment this week went sadly awry, I'll have to substitute pictures for my favorite potion, a simple version of Draught of Peace. Of course, I have tweaked the formula a bit to suit my tastes:


A glass of soymilk

+


Homemade chocolate syrup

=


Peace and happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment